Little Smiles Dentistry
A Great Dentist

What should I do if my child has a dental emergency?

If you are unsure about what to do if your child has an urgent dental matter, you can always give us a call. If you have a true after-hours emergency (such as facial swelling or a knocked-out permanent tooth), call the office and the doctor will be available to respond shortly.

We have also included some guidelines here to help you make a decision on what to do.

  • For toothaches, have your child rinse thoroughly with warm water and use a toothbrush or dental floss to remove and food debris. If your child is still in pain, Children's Motrin (ibuprofen) or Tylenol (acetaminophen) is recommended as directed on the bottle. Call to make an appointment as soon as possible to prevent more severe problems.
  • For a chipped tooth, rinse the mouth out with water and apply and cold compress to the injured lip or cheek. Locate the fragment and bring it with you to the office. Call us right away and we will fit you in the same day.
  • If a permanent tooth has been knocked out, find it if you can. Handle it by the crown, rather than the root. You can rinse it carefully with water or saline. If you don’t see any fractures or other damage to the tooth, your child can try to hold the tooth in place by biting down on a piece of gauze. Bring your child in to Little Smiles Dentistry immediately. Time is of the essence if the tooth is to be saved.
  • If a baby tooth has been knocked out, make sure that your child did not swallow or aspirate the toothThis usually does not require treatment but call our office to schedule an appointment so that we may evaluate proper healing

For serious injuries, such as a blow to the head or jaw, or if bleeding of the mouth will not stop, take your child to the nearest emergency room immediately.

Related Services
If you have difficulty using our website, please email us or call us at (830) 249-9888
View the ADA Accessibility Statement